Self-Disposal at Authorised Waste Management Centres
Residents can dispose of their waste for a fee at authorised Waste Management Centres run by SITA Environmental Solutions (www.sita.com.au).
Residents can take the following materials free of charge to an authorised waste management centre:
- Scrap metals - including up to 4 whitegoods and one car body
- Pre-sorted recyclable materials, including:
- Cans - aluminium and steel
- Paper and cardboard
- Glass bottles and jars
- Milk and juice cartons
- Plastic bottles and containers
- Sump oil - up to 20 litres per visit
- Vehicle batteries - up to 5 per visit
- Fire extinguishers
Centres are located across the Sydney Metropolitan area, however the centres closest to the Canterbury City LGA can be found at:
- Chullora Resource Recovery Park - Muir Road, Chullora
- Rockdale Resource Recovery Centre - Lindsay Street, Rockdale
- Lucas Heights Resource Recovery Park- New Illawarra Road, Lucas Heights
Other materials, including green waste, concrete/bricks/tiles/building materials, tree stumps, old furniture, other household rubbish, paint tins and gas bottles can be taken to a centre for a fee.
Please call SITA Environmental Solutions on 13 13 35 or go to www.sita.com.au for more information.
Re-use Centres and Charities
Why not take pre-loved furniture and household goods to a reuse centre, second hand store or charity?
Some reuse centres/charities pick up materials that are in good condition for free, including:
- The Bower Reuse and Repair Centre
Tel: 9568 6280.
The Bower is a reuse and repair centre Cooperative which encourages the repair and resale of used goods. Residents can ring them to have pre-loved goods collected and repaired for resale.
- Reverse Garbage
Tel: 9569 3132.
Reverse Garbage salvages industrial materials and offcuts for reuse and resale. Residents can buy a large range of goods cheaply, knowing that they are helping industry recycle.
- The Salvation Army
Tel: 13 16 40
- St Vincent de Paul
Tel: 8276 6133
Other centres and second hand stores may accept used goods if they are dropped off. Check the Yellow Pages under "Secondhand Dealers" for stores which may accept used goods.